Thursday, February 22, 2007

Letter from an Ex

Letter from an Ex

Like a guided missile, your epistle

shooting through thin layers of tears

strikes my heavy heart, a thistle

tenaciously sticking to my fears.


Often your letters make me bristle

and drown myself in many beers,

but today’s tome makes me whistle

and forget about these lonely years.


You remind me of when first we met

holding hands by the little pond-

loving, gentle without regret

sharing dreams of far beyond.


The kids, no longer you say upset,

school is fine, they’ve moved on

and find comfort in Gus, the new pet.

Seems they’re busy dusk to dawn


"Oh by the way, the new man I found-

you know, the one I left you for;

well he’s gone, turned out to be a hound,

so I kicked his butt out the door.


I kind of wish that you were around,

but I guess that’s too much to hope for.

At night the house is an empty sound.

Gotta go, the dog is scratching at the door."


You tell me to write sometime

or stop in for a hot meal.

You even have my favorite wine.

Sorry sis, I’d rather swallow turpentine

No comments: