Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Rude Awakening

Rude Awakening

Snake bit, I shake the potent, magic loadstone
Deemed to possess dark curative powers
Mistrusting modern medical mischief
Cold and clinical

Preferring Amazon shamanistic rituals
I digest the entrails of a green tree frog
And rub beetle dung across my bared chest
Medicine man smiles

Around the glowing fire naked dancers swirl
Rhythmically thumping cardio spasms pound
Between intercostal spaces like jungle drums
Undulating beats

Masked, tattooed, a witch doctor chants songs
As my fading spirit rises; is revived
My heart harmonizes with the toucan’s call
A black magic cure

Rapid eye movement, like a freeway fast lane
Jolts me from deep slumber, shatters the nightmare
The groundskeeper’s mower completes my dream
Hellish, surreal

The dreaded day has arrived, the doctor is in
My hand searches for the mythical loadstone
No such luck.” Follow me please”, the nurse commands
Sweetly she smiles..

Kbris 2006








No comments: