Saturday, August 19, 2006

Gus

Click here for My reading of the poem

Gus

I think of you, because I bought a new chair-
A big over-stuffed armchair to massage muscles
And comfort chilled bones on cold winter nights
By the glowing fire.

I think of your sad eyes begging for love,
Your black, wet nose sniffing my arm,
Your mauve coat warming my feet,
Your throaty growl when ignored.

I think of your floppy ears coming to attention
As deer in the yard raid the crabapple trees.
I think of your wagging tail thumping the ground
Like a drumstick, beating joy at the sight of my
Pickup entering the driveway, a one-dog
Welcoming band.

I think of all our chats from my old chair
Stories of fishing, love, travel, dreams-
Tales of woe, adventure and failure;
The secrets that only you and I shared.
I will think of you always, but
The new chair won’t be the same
Without you old friend.

No comments: