Sunday, January 21, 2007

Night on The River

Night on the River

At the Rogue’s edge

the moon falling

bumps its yellow nose

on the cattails

and brown frogs

spew melodious echoes into

the deep pools

beneath the ripples.

A blue crane is perched

like a blue cloud---

or a mood of remoteness

in the grasp of some odd power

while all around me the red salmon

are splashing upstream again

from the bubbling beds

of black gravel.


In a while, I’ll think about

what I’ve observed---

what it could mean---

what poetic thoughts I might

write about it, and so I think

I will go sit before my keyboard ---

I shall rest in my thoughts ---

I will reflect

into the vast nightfall

in which I am swimming now,

like a silver fish,

so easily,

so gracefully,

I am almost the salmon ---

almost the crane fading over the river

on black clouds of night.

No comments: